Program Associate at One Acre Fund January, 2020
ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund is developing new business units to push innovation in retail, finance and marketing in rural communities. One of these units is the Seed Adoption Campaign, which aims to build access and demand for improved seed across Tanzania.
Improved seed can generate significant increases in yield and farm productivity, with minimal behaviour change required. However, adoption of improved seed is lower than 25% in many Sub-Saharan countries. Increasing adoption of improved seed in Tanzania represents millions of dollars of potential impact for smallholder farmers.
Seed-related innovations are one of the organisation’s highest priority areas for generating impact for farmers and the Seed Adoption Campaign will continue to grow rapidly in both work scope and team size, serving over 70,000 farmers in the 2019-20 farming season. The goal for most innovations like this is to scale them to reach huge populations of smallholder farmers, generating as much impact as possible.
We are seeking exceptional individuals to join this team. Strong candidates would be managing region-wide and nationwide ventures to innovate within and expand the Seed Adoption Campaign, supporting farmers in new markets.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ready the programme for expansion to reach our 2020/21 season goal to double our reach to 160k+ farmers, helping us to reach 780k+ farmers by 2023/24
- Develop innovations to increase impact for our farmers. You will be responsible for developing and implementing operational improvements as well as identifying new products and programme innovations.
- Design trials and data collection plans for new innovations/products and effectively evaluate impact through data analysis.
- Collaborate with internal teams to build programme solutions such as improved delivery models, better government cooperation or new product trials.
- Establish and develop collaborations with external stakeholders such as executives from seed companies, local distributors and government officials, to explore potential partnerships that improve our service delivery to farmers
- Ensure efficient financial management by monitoring and forecasting budgets for expansion and other programme innovations. Help to deliver more impact for farmers through efficient use of resources.
- Build a high performing programme and team of 100+ field staff, by identifying and executing innovations to boost operational performance as well as managing professional development and hiring.
- Pilot the programme in a new region for OAF, understanding local differences and challenges and building solutions to meet them
- Monitor and adapt the project execution of key field activities as well as new trials and innovations to meet programme goal
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Due to our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions across the organisation.
Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
We are seeking an exceptional candidate with 5+ years of consulting, project management or entrepreneurial experience and a demonstrated passion for poverty alleviation. Candidates who match the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong project management experience, including budgetary management or successful entrepreneurial experience.
- Able to think big with ambition proven through experience developing innovations and implementing new ideas. Should be able to contribute to operations and strategy development with creative problem solving skills
- Agile-thinker, who is able to adapt, be resilient to and enjoy evolving situations and tasks
- Excellent field and leadership experience. Strong ability to work through others and manage a large team of 100+ staff.
- Proven relationship building and stakeholder management with public and private sector actors.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humour, patience and a humble approach to serving smallholder farmers.
- Language: Fluency in English and Kiswahili required both written and oral
- No agriculture-specific experience required but advantageous
- Only Tanzanian candidates will be considered.
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with raises based on performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placements
Health insurance, paid time off
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; Must have existing rights to work in Tanzania
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Closing date: 21 Mar 2020